The Guide to Land Registration
Get your bearings in the world of Land Registration
What is Land Registration?
The definition of Land Registration includes two notions:
- Registration: this includes all of the authentic notarized deeds concerning the status of real estate properties (rights, collateral, easements). Only deeds prepared by notaries can be received by Land Registration services.
- Land: relates to everything pertaining to real estate properties, buildings, properties, either with or without building development. The term “real estate” can also designate lands which can be built upon, which is the basis of any land registration.
The Land Registration is the body of public information regarding the real estate properties and the owners (either physical persons or corporate entities) in France.
For more definitions, consult the real estate glossary on hypotheques.com.
What do you get with Land Registration?
Consulting the Public Service for Land Registration includes:
- Knowing if a physical person or corporate entity is the owner
- Obtaining the legal status of a real estate property
- Obtaining real estate information and official documents
How to get a mortgage statement or a deed of sale?
Through traditional means: "paper"
To obtain a mortgage statement or any document related to Land Registration, the government requires that the requester manually fill out a specific CERFA document obtained in advanced from the appropriate services. The request is then sent to the proper Mortgage office or Property Book.
This is a fee-based process, and processing period varies (from a few days to several months). In case of error (spelling, date, address, or wrong office consulted), the result of the request will be negative. No reimbursement is possible whenever the Land Registration service has processed the request on the basis of incorrect information provided to it. This is the principle of “absolute conformity.”
By leshypotheques.com: "paperless"
This 99% digital communication mode with our clients :
- Optimises management time frames
- Provides maximum reduction in processing errors